Grilled Steak With Zinfandel Mushroom Sauce
- 4 beef top sirloin steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 3/4 cup 7 Deadly Zinfandel wine
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbsp cold butter, cut in half
- Rub steaks lightly with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the steaks and set them aside on the counter, bringing them close to room temperature.
- Pre-heat a gas grill on high.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions to the skillet and sauté for 6-10 minutes until the mushrooms are soft. Slowly pour in the 7 Deadly wine and cook it down until liquid is reduced by half. Add the Worcestershire sauce and remove the sauce from the heat. Set it aside while grilling the steaks.
- Sear the steaks for 5 minutes on each side. Move the steaks to a cooler section of the grill or lower the heat and continue to cook until they are about 140 degrees in the center (medium), about 2-3 minutes.
- Move steaks to a plate and cover for 5-7 minutes.
- While you wait, reheat the mushrooms and add any juices from the steaks to the sauce. Once the sauce is warm, whisk in one piece of butter at a time until each is completely incorporated into the sauce. Season the sauce with fresh pepper to taste.
- Top each steak with sauce and serve immediately with a glass of 7 Deadly Zins.